View Single Post
Old 04-21-2022, 01:45 PM   #7
4thgencreamsicle

Re: What would cause this wire to burn up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhap View Post
One of the settings on you multi-meter should produce a buzz when you touch positive and negative probes. It might by at 2000 (that looks like the symbol on mine that does it) or it might be all the way over at the step shaped line. If you can find that - or see a zero when you touch pos and neg probes together, that is how you want to test the wires.
I’m out working on the truck today and turns out none of the settings create any noise on our multimeter (maybe because it’s old?) I even tried finding the owners manual online to maybe see what Craftsman says is the setting for testing continuity on this model. I couldn’t find it so tried both the 2000 (with the symbol beneath it) and the stepped down line like you suggested.
The 2000 setting reads 001 when the probes touch and the line shape reads 001 no matter if probes are touching or not. The 200 setting gives me either 00.2 or 00.3 depending on how still I hold.

Maybe time for a new multimeter? Maybe one that will beep for me so it makes this a no brained? Lol

Vettevet, I went ahead and took readings even though I’m not sure now if my multimeter is even being helpful. Found a good place on the frame (thanks for that), and took some readings. They all read like when the test probes are touched together. For now I just tested the burned wires as they come off the resistance wire.
4thgencreamsicle is offline   Reply With Quote