View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 04:17 PM   #30
rechinca

Re: 71 C10 LB: Code Name Sloth

Lots of little things done, tons more as I mission-creep 1 step forward 2 steps back. No pics on the first part, but what I have is a new to me 3 core radiator sourced and installed. Aftermarket rubbers for the radiator brackets suck. I ground a crap load off to modify the profile enough they would allow the radiator to sit in the support low enough that the 7-blade fan & clutch wouldn’t hit. It’s only in temporary right now as I have decided to install factory brackets/pulleys to give me PS. The manual box was shot and completely unsafe.

I didn’t want to install my refurbished PB booster bracket and booster yet as the firewall behind it was so ugly from a leaky master cylinder. Lots of surface rust. Add in a non-existent boot for the brake pushrod and a shot column seal and I felt it best to properly (or at least semi-half-assed) clean the firewall in that area and spray at least a 2’x2’ area back the factory orange. Which you guessed right, the steering column is now out and in the garage! It will be at least two weeks before I get back to her due to work and some house repairs.

I did get in the clutch rod bracket/connector at the end of the clutch pedal shaft. Beautiful part from a board member that required 2 minutes of bead blasting them some satin clear to make it ready to install. Hopefully some pics on my days off this week.

Lastly, purchased a Vulcan brand multi-process welder. It was about 30% of the new price with less than 3’ of flux wire used. TIG and stick attachments are still boxed up as well as the gas meter. Guy never used it, had his receipt and it was 4 months old. He needed money so I bought it with a decent helmet, gloves and jacket. Figured it was cheaper than a bargain basement MIG only so if I kill it learning how to weld I am really ahead of the game. Plus I have some small areas to tack up and weld shut I need to do before I reinstall the heater box and get the engine filled with coolant.