View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 12:30 AM   #1
Jscompto

1967-1970 C30 front wheel hub questions

Hey everyone. Brand New here but I've been lurking for quite some time.

I had a few questions about the front wheel hub on my uncle's 1969 C30. It was a farm truck all it's life and has only 35k miles. It has a 10 ft dump bed that my uncle built as well as the optional factory 11,000 lb rear axle and also the "heavy duty" front hubs...the hubs have 8 studs that bolt to the brake drum and 5 studs that the wheel bolts to. It's actually a 10 bolt pattern for the wheel but only 5 studs stick out....GM part # is 3892511. I've researched and found that they only made them for the C30 trucks from 67-70 and also that the part was discontinued before 1981.

With all that being said, we are loot for another one. We went to change the wheel bearings and someone at some point and time had welded the hub to the drum on the passenger side. That whole mess got scrapped unfortunately and now we need another one of those hubs.

Right now my uncle has put some 8 wheel lug hubs on the truck for the time being. However he wants to put everything back to original and go back with the big 5 lug hubs and 10 lug wheels again so that they match the 10 lug wheels on the rear axle. By the way we got some newer 10 lug wheels (19.5 inch) from a 1992-2000 GM 3500 HD truck for the rear axle and they look great on the truck! Big step up from the rotted out old split rims that were on the truck to begin with.

I've done a lot of searching and ended up finding a salvage yard in IL that had a C40 that the guy said the hub would work on our truck. GM part number for this hub is 3781041... We took it all apart tonight and the hub from the C40 is almost right but has a different set of bearings in it. Haven't tried to fit it to the spindle yet but that will get done before the end of the week. I took some pictures of everything so you can see what slight differences they have.

If this does not work for us does anyone know of a salvage yard truck we can get one from?

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any help!

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-20-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Jscompto is offline   Reply With Quote