View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #25
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

My kind of build!!!!!!!! A vote of confidence to all the "MINIMALISTS" out there...LOL! Did you mix up those pistons when you disassembled the motor?

Just a note on my minimalist approach. I like to get them running and rolling first so I can at least drive it around the pasture and in and out of the garage. This always keeps your interest up and increases the entertainment value of the project. Also a running project is always worth more if you find a better one or need to sell it.

I bought an engine for $100 that I knew had driven once but needed timing set (jumped a cog). It turned out to have great compression etc. Put about $100 into the motor and it is now running in my truck and looks like new. It will do until ALL the body work and interior are done.

Search craigslist for free parts, you will be amazed what you will find. Other good sources are used parts from guys doing "full boat" restorations...thanks gr8scott51! Put the vehicle together so that everything works so you can drive it safely. Next do one body panel repair at a time starting with the front clip. Leave the most difficult sheet metal work for the last item (cabs on trucks and body on the Blazers).

I will bet that only about 25% of the vehicles ever completely disassembled ever get put back together and running again. Even fewer with the guy that started the restoration. Just my 0.02. Good luck and I will be watching and enjoying this one.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote