View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 06:30 PM   #69
McDeezl

Re: '72 GMC long/fleet in Ottawa area

A bit more progress although not as much as I had hoped to cover this summer. Too many other things on the go especially work schedule. Got the hood done finally which ended up being way more hours to complete than I had anticipated. Came out ok although lots of small corrections to do that come with painting in the garage .... bugs, etc.
A lot of drama that came with painting the hood in the garage! Had to put the truck outside to have room inside to do the hood. Actually thought about throwing a tarp over it just in case but said "nah, it'll be fine and looks kinda cool parked out there" Should have gone with my first instinct! Rained a couple of times and enough to have water get below the wing nut on the air cleaner. You see where this is going??
Went to start the truck to bring it back in the garage and no crank whatsoever and knew right away it wasn't electrical related. Cylinders hydrolocked with water!! Pushed it back inside and went to work. Pulled the spark plugs and talk about a sinking feeling when water comes pouring out when you get the plug out! The back 2 cylinders on right side were full of water, combination of slant of engine / intake and open valves I guess. All plugs out I dumped a liter of new oil down the carb and intake and rolled the engine over, all sounded ok so maybe just maybe. Flushed inside of each cylinder with WD40 through plug holes along with oil down intake, changed oil and filter, new plugs, fingers crossed. It fired up right away and other than 15 minutes of what looked like sending smoke signals to Mars it cleaned right up and runs smooth. Talk about dodging a bullet! Figure I got lucky as it was completely locked and did not crank over at all. If it had cranked and then locked up the momentum would have been enough to bend a couple of rods. Phewffff!!!
So the engine is good, the hood is on and looks ok and I'm thankful to not be having to pull the engine.
Attached Images