Thread: 47-55.1 Aftermarket dashes
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2021, 12:43 PM   #4
e015475

Re: Aftermarket dashes

As a rule of thumb, you can count on having to put a few hours of rework into any reproduction sheet metal part. A new dash is around $350 and I'd guess you'd have at least that again in labor to replace it.

For the most part the dash doesn't suffer from rusting out on these trucks, but from a PO hacking it up for gauges, radios etc. It might be better to find an original dash somewhere. The cab can be completely rusted out and the dash panel will usually still be good.

I bought 'half' an OE dash with the intention of replacing a section of my dash where a PO had put about a 2" hole for an aftermarket gauge, but the guy that did the metal work on the truck said it was cheaper and faster to make a patch panel, so that's what I did. (I bought the half dash from Mothertrucker in Tucson who goes by the name 'DeadZoneTrucking' on talk.classicparts.com.)

Per Ogre's comment, you might think about posting pictures of the dash you have and see what sort of suggestions you can get as to how to fix it. I'd only consider a reproduction part as a last resort.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote