View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 11:02 PM   #30
mzsigler

Re: 82 Silverado restomod - turbo LSx build

Finally got to work on the truck a little. Decided it would be a good idea to install my window regulator so my driver side window rolls up. Here's what I started with.

I took roughly 1848729373 little phillips head screws out, removing all of them except one. This one. The very last screw. The one toward the rear of the door inside the little arm rest pad.

I tried to drill it out and the drill bit snapped off in the screw without hesitation. I decided to poke around by pulling the door panel back and noticed I could get it off if I took off the two 11mm bolts holding this metal bracket on. So that's what I did.

I'll deal with that bastard screw later.

Neat, part numbers!

That got me to here:

I taped up the window so it wouldn't fall and started taking more bolts out.

I took @gregski's advice and test fitted my new crank on my new regulator, thankfully it fits perfectly. SHINY!

One of the mechanics that works for me used to do automotive glass install, he's likely the reason I got it pulled out without breaking anything.

Old vs New

Old

New

You remember 11 seconds ago when I said I didn't break anything? That's not exactly true. The window channel inside the door frame was super duper dry and brittle and snapped like a twig. It was actually already broken off about halfway up the window opening, I just never noticed it because the window was stuck about an inch from the top and I guess the wind noise covered the sound of the glass rattling. I ordered what I hope is the correct replacement part.

Since I doubt I'll see those parts before the thanksgiving holiday, this is how it sits for now:

I plan to take the opportunity to try and clean up that door panel before I decide if it's going to just be replaced. Going back to my first picture, does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning up this door panel other than "Throw it away and order a set of door panels"? Here's a link to the full size so you can see the details:

http://imgur.com/LljuzVn
mzsigler is offline   Reply With Quote