View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #51
47 Fasttoys

Re: '47 Loadmaster COE (rebuild pictures)

12-1-2014
Got a good start on rotating the rack. To start with I welded a position reference to the frame. In my case I used some angle iron with one end butted on a step on the rack tube and a couple of hose clamps. By doing it this way I could turn the rack but still maintain the correct position for alignment issues. Next I removed the mounting bolts, loosened the hose clamps and rotated the rack. I ran into 2 minor issues: The cap bolt on the rack would hit the frame cross member and the hose would hit the cross member. Used a hole saw to solve #1 and a hot wrench and a big hammer to solve #2. After I had enough rotation, I just started building up a new mount for the rack (3/16 plate). If you do this type of work I recommend a profile gauge. It really helps when making templates. I first make cardboard templates. I have also found that Natural Lite 12 packs make the best template materiel. Sometimes I have friends over and we work on building up template stock. From there I go from cardboard to steel and weld it all up.
Rob
Attached Images