View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Step'67

Re: 4l80e Driveshaft Conversion Question

The output shaft isn't actually threaded, so a fixed yoke won't work (got my hopes up because dad's '67 Camaro project had a fixed yoke I could steal). I feel kind of silly during all of this, and here is why: I've got a 72 long bed with a turbo 350 that i pulled the drive line out of some time ago. It of course has a slip yoke on the trans side, the same carrier bearing/slip joint combo in the middle, and a fixed rear u joint. Now, I honestly can't remember how I got it apart, because if I could, this setup would be exactly the same. I can figure out how I removed the rear section of the drive shaft, but as for the front section, not so much. Was there enough yoke travel that I was able to pull the carrier bearing off of the crossmember? But then there is the splined shaft sticking out past the bearing so I wouldn't be able to pull that out of the crossmember. I know it can be done with this slip yoked 4l80e, as the factory trucks come with basically the same setup, but I can't remember how it is assembled. And on a another note, I would also replace the carrier bearing when getting the driveshaft shortened. With doing that, would it just be better to go to a single driveshaft? Truck is a shortbed stepside, lowered 2" in the rear, and plan to lower it more later on. Seems like clearance would be okay?