View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 07:51 AM   #99
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

It's kind of silly for me to be so excited about such a minimal garage for it. Not exactly a shop. But you said it when you said "she's out of the weather". One reason I hemmed and hawed about building this is I wanted more space, but as things are really didn't have any more room to use.

I never should have tucked that small barn, about the same size, back into that corner. I really didn't expect to be here so long and I had a shop I rented to keep my vehicles. I built that to replace the 8x8 shed that was there when I bought the place. The slab in front of it reaches to the edge of the septic tank, so no straight-on approach to the slab. I also wanted all the yard I could have for the kids when they were young. Now the maple tree is growing into the barn, as well. The tree is super huge now but, rather than take it out, I want to trim the limbs back and move the barn (and side shed) 3' into the yard. This will line up the shed side (left wall) with the right side of this tiny garage. So that will be straight-on with the driveway and the barn side will still be lined up with the slab. That's my minimal plan. The more ambitious plan, what I really want to do, is move the barn to the left side and rebuild the shed side to the right.

I would have just dismantled the whole thing and built a real shop straight back behind where I built this little garage if selling this place wasn't what I really want to do. So that is the other reason for hemming and hawing. Long story and very convoluted. I went ahead and did this little thing to go with the little old house. Looks like it belongs, been there, and in proportion. It is an amenity to add character, appeal, and value for the sale and for now keep the truck under cover. Also makes the back yard more private feeling (and hides my junk). Will also look better when showing the house to have a man's project tucked into a building. Money is tight, so no high hopes for the project until probably the next place. My plan is to get all parts assembled to consolidate them, but also can get driveshaft and exhaust made and get it running.

What I really want to see is that garage empty and that truck and my '72 sitting in the next garage at the next house. Now I can put my full focus on the house (except that barn moving thing)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-09-2020 at 08:05 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote