Thread: Axle swap?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: Axle swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C15_Sierra View Post
Would it be possible to swap axles from a 12-bolt 2WD (5-lug) with 2.76's, into a similar-vintage 12-bolt 4WD (6 lug) housing?

Backstory: I'm in the market for putting a 3.73 posi, trying to do it cost effective (my truck's not gonna be a high performance road burner, but I still want some get up and go). 2WD's are rare around here, so 3.73 posi's are few and far between for 2WD trucks.

There's a guy locally who's selling a "early 80s" Chevy 12-bolt posi with 4.10's, but its from a K10, so its 6-lug. Would I be able to swap the axles from my 12-bolt into the other 12-bolt? The 12 bolt for sale has also been recently rebuilt, whereas mine is condition unknown (didn't make any funny noises during the 10 miles I put on it before I took it off the road for the engine swap)

Advice?
On your 80 Gmc, you should be able to swap that The axles should also interchange(just look at the drum widths), & if you find them different, you will need to swap your backing plates also. Best of fun,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote