View Single Post
Old 09-26-2023, 08:10 AM   #2163
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

I have pretty much completed the 2023 USA RoadTrip report on Retrorides

Hopefully it is of varying value to readers, After all, threads are more than just pictures, they should be a resource and a place to discuss things.

I never know if a basic break down of costs is of any value to anyone else.

And more importantly, if it will be the thing that makes someone realise their travel dream, or pee the same person off because they either do not have the resource, drive, ability or will power, or is that wont power to put a trip together.

I am very fortunate that my own lifestyle, life philosophy, circles of friends and living what I preach has made these trips possible, along with incredible humans like Dennis, and every other person mentioned, and not mentioned in these blogs and vlogs. So some of my travel is cheaper than you may be able to experience, but most readers will recall, I have had total strangers (the Australian couple touring UK/Europe) stay in my house, McMurphy and Patricia using it as a base, and countless others coming and going through my life. Karma has a way of lining all of these things up and making it into one continuous story.

MAYBE I SHOULD MENTION ALSO THAT I TRY TO PICK UP AS MANY TABS AS I CAN, PAYING MY OWN WAY, AND THROUGH MUTUAL RESPECT AND GETTING TO KNOW EACH OTHER OVER THE YEARS, THIS HAS BECOME EASIER, WHERE CLEM, DENNIS AND OTHERS ARE CONCERNED, SO I AM NOT AT ALL ON A SPONSORED HOLIDAY. PLACES LIKE FLORIDA FUN PARKS, DISNEY, ATTRACTIONS AND TOURIST CITIES ETC ADD TO COSTS VERY QUICKLY.

I prefer to travel off the beaten track and to get to know the real Americans and their world.

So a very basic break down of this trip costs, rounded up or down to the nearest £10.00 will be……

Ticket £660.00
Insurance, International driver license £140.00
Mickey Taxi, drop off, ULEZ, Parking £140.00
Heathrow breakfast £10.00
Boston sandwich £20.00
USA Fuel, Food, Alcohol, Gifts etc £1000.00

So I would say that 22 days including everything I can remember tops out at £2000.00 which means £90.00 per day.

Of course that is not really the way to do a calculation but when I do “man maths” and look at the price of a packet of cigarettes at a low average of £10.00 for 20 per day, and a few beers, or a pair of cocktails at a cheap £20.00 per visit, and a kebab and Coke rounded up to £10.00 before you have driven to town, paid up to £10.00 for parking and fuel you get to about:

Cigarettes £70.00/week
Beers £40.00/two nights
Kebab or food £30.00/week
Transport £20.00/week
EQUALS = £160.00
MONTHLY POTENTIAL = £640.00/month

I will immediately say that there are many people, who for various reasons do not spend or have the money to spend in this way, and respect to every person who fight the daily fight to make ends meet.

But for those who need a motivation, maybe this shows how easy it is to spend more than you realise.

When I went to St Louis to meet Dennis and ultimately the rest of America in 2016 for the first time, I did not want to spend the money as I always tried to thing of tomorrow and the next day.
It took a loving woman like Nicola to point out the basics to me, pointing out that Mickey next door smokes and has a few beers every day of his life, as long as he has cash in his pocket.
She also reminded me that the richest guy in the grave yard was not a particularly clever title to have, and that corpse shrouds do not come with pockets.

I really hope this entry is of value to anyone reading and considering a trip, whether it be to anywhere in America, like my road trips, or a trip to Wales in winter, when prices could be a bit lower, and a nice log fire as inviting as Route 66.

Choice is yours.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote