View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #19
oossuuu754

Re: Cecil the 1953 5 window / S-10 / 5.7 TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednek13x View Post
That looks great! How did you do that? Acid?
I completely stripped/sandblasted the parts that I wanted to age. Flat Black Primer then painted them. After it dried for a few days I then sanded the entire part with mixture of coarse, medium and fine grit sanding disk on my orbital to give the pain the weathered look.

To make the rust you first need to completely sand any spot you want to rust to bare metal. Then you mix up a spray bottle with these ingredients.

16 oz Hydrogen Peroxide (fresh bottle un open is best)
2 oz white vinegar
1/2 Tbsp of Salt

lightly spray the bare metal and rust will form almost immediately. Let this dry then repeat. The more time you repeat the process it the darker it will be. You can also use a small propane torch to speed up the drying process.

After the rust has dried for about 24 hours, take fresh small paint brush and gently remove any extremely loose rust pieces. I use leaf blower to blow the loose particles away. Be careful because most of the rust will wipe away at this point.

After you removed the loose particles you need to treat and seal the rust with Pentrol. You can buy this at Lowes or Home Depot in the paint department. This will adhere it surface.

Lastly you should clear the patina with a satin or gloss clear. I am going to do that in about a year.

It is not as difficult as this sounds, but it does take a little time sanding.
Attached Images

Cecil-1953 5 window build thread

Skymangs..Chris of Old Sarge customs had a shop fire and was severly injured. To help with the medical bills and expenses a fund has been set up here....http://gofundme.com/c49h5mjx8 More details are here...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7253189
oossuuu754 is offline   Reply With Quote