View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #53
Paul Y

Re: The English are coming! Or..another C10 in the Motherland.

Today I actually used Woody for the purpose he was intended for… Being a truck.

Not super exciting but went to collect 50 Gallons of heating oil with Hound #1 for company. Was only a total of about 20miles but over some quite challenging roads, lots of roundabouts, few straights and fast B roads. First time I have actually really pressed on since the new suspension set up, what a pleasure to drive now! A little tuning to do but so much better.

Really good fun to push hard out of corners and overtake the unsuspecting in what they had previously thought was a rather beat up truck.

However, the increased ‘pace’ has highlighted a few issues which were masked by my previous, sedate, driving style encouraged by the looser handling. The most annoying of these was a high speed miss (by high speed I mean 60mph upwards…) when under load.

Intermittent but persistent… Mmmm… sounds like something is breaking down on the ignition side.

Once safely returned to PY Towers did a quick check of the leads and connections to see if anything was loose or obvious. All looked good so I decided to check the timing to see if there was anything untoward.

Oh Dear… is the total advance at 3500rpm supposed to be 68 degrees? No? That might be the problem then….

Didn’t have time to investigate further but looks like it is the age old HEI wear problem. 68 degrees feels like a new record…

Think I have 3 choices:-
1. Use the Old HEI I have on a shelf
2. Buy an upgraded HEI kit from Summit for $71
3. Buy a ‘new’ HEI distributor from Summit for $81

Will have a look at the HEI on the shelf but my feeling is that it is on the shelf for a reason, quite probably the same as that facing the current unit. A little time tomorrow will tell the truth.

So… looks like it is either option 2 or 3. Anybody any experience with option 3?

Not the usual picture heavy update but would appreciate the thoughts of those that have subscribed.

Anyway, until the next time.

P.
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote