View Single Post
Old 07-07-2021, 01:18 PM   #17
Big Kev-O

Re: Positive Ground Battery Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Thunder View Post
Hi all,
i am confused by this as after everything cleared up we put it back on the fender and everything started up all fine and dandy. Is there something I'm missing?
Yes, you are missing a basic understanding of domestic 12v automotive wiring. I am not trying to be a jerk & this looks like this may be your first time dealing with automotive wiring so I will explain some basics to keep you from learning the hard way. Most American cars are designed with a NEGATIVE ground which means the entire chassis and every piece of metal bolted to it are connected to the negative terminal. Under no circumstance should you ever place a positive wire onto your chassis or anything metal. This will cause a short that will spark, melt wire and possibly start a fire if the circuit is not protected by a fuse. Most of the electrical components in your truck do not have negative wire that runs back to the battery because you can complete the circuit by grounding the negative wire to the chassis/body. For example your lights & radio have a positive wire coming from the fuse block through a switch and the negative wire is grounded to the chassis/cab. This is why you only see one negative cable leaving the battery.

Last edited by Big Kev-O; 07-07-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Big Kev-O is offline   Reply With Quote