View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #8
mr48chev

Re: 700r4 Trans and stock crossmember

The stock crossmember that the cast iron bellhousing for the stick trans sits on is going to be in the way of any automatic.

I agree 100% mount the master cylinder and work around it.

I'd suggest mocking the setup up and figuring out exactly where the mount on the tai shaft is going to sit in relation to the frame rail height and go from there. There are "universal" tube crossmembers with all kinds of drops in them that make things easy that run around 60 bucks US most of the time but sometimes you can get a serious deal if you have Amazon prime.

Welders series makes some nice fab it up yourself pieces and I have used a fair amount of their stuff. I like their gussets because they are a lot neater and cleaner than what I can make myself and not too spendy most of the time.

Making your own crossmember mostly depends on your personal fab skills and what equipment you have at your disposal. It really isn't fair for the rest of us to assume that one has a welder, cut off saw and the skills to design and fab something that works good and looks good. Cutting a length of channel iron to length and drilling a few holes and bolting it up isn't fabbing even though it gets done and some guys think it is great.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote