View Single Post
Old 03-13-2023, 01:59 AM   #356
Richard

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Results are in, the rebuilt transmission won't go into Reverse. That was done 2018. So carb tune and choke are still pending. The shop says trans is full and flow through the system.

I arranged for towing, but while we were )*^)ing around I asked what they thought of driving it home 6 miles. They were somethin' like, "I've been known to". Unregistered, no bumpers, untested. 27 year tires So it was a bad day. They pass on anything more than outside the transmission and pan. Old man says he can't recommend anyone, and it appeared I may have to pull the transmission............Oh NOOOOO! The shop that rebuilt the transmission won't R & R, and warranty is well expired. I wouldn't want to leave it there anyway, they have WAY too many employees for starts.

The shop guys dialing this in and I go back 50 years. Old man felt sorry for me I guess he asked a special favor of a transmission and ? shop 30 miles from here. I spoke to them, and it sounds like they've taken an oath of honor. Old man says don't tell them what to do, you'll piss them off and me too

Fluid is full and I'm 99.9% sure I installed the torque converter right. Three clicks and/or feels you're in, proven by an approx. 1/8" gap between the flex plate and converter with the bell housing mounted. Pull the converter forward and bolt it.

It's likely not the fluid, though perhaps I took a risk. While the trans. shop that rebuilt it recommends Dexron 4 only, I used Mobile Delvac Allison approved synthetic. I read it's the best for a fresh transmission, even rebuilds of old. So perhaps it's the governor, some rod, couldn't tell you.

Goes in Monday. What a money pit, I'll probably pay to have it hauled. Could rent a U hail trailer I suppose, and push it off, but its kind of a hassle. Really, I should just buy a trailer at this point.........Hmm.

About the drive home and such. Everything works so far but the fan blower is making noise. I'm little nervous about the resistor, because the connector in the new harness leaves much some to be desired. Sure, plug it in all the way if you can and break something. But I think it's just the the blower.

Beyond that this truck stinks badly, a real toxic smell, you figure that's all new finishes and crerekote especially? I didn't expect that, it's STRONG.

So not all bad, I just have to pull out another $1500ish and extend this BS till done, and figure out why the noise. I can't track it down anymore, the transmission is now leaking badly with the engine running, and the carb. isn't tuned anyway. Not sure why the leak beyond the pan gasket was leaking and was supposed to be replaced. No reason to do that now.
Your experience is why I do almost everything myself. My research and ability is usually better than anything I can pay for at this point. The transmission in my 2000 C2500 obtained from my old boss for money owed failed at about 6k. Rebuild was $3,500, out of warranty at 5k and they will do nothing about it. Lasted almost 200k stock.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote