View Single Post
Old 02-03-2022, 11:28 AM   #9
Puglia10

Re: 1979 3+3 GMC Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Lowboy is mainly bagged set-ups. I asked if he did an arm set-up that would work w/coils & he said "no, but it might be worth looking in to...". Not sure it is on his 'to-do' list but I'm betting no.

3" spindles & drop coil up front get's your 6" drop. The front x-member gusset bars will be creeping in close to the tarmac on decent size dips on the road w/the stock stuff that low.

Flip kit for the rear is 8" (+/- depending on the spring-pack count). At 8" drop you'll be bumpin' the bottom side of the bed floor w/the differential (they're porky).

Nothing should hang below the rails @ 6/8. They'll high center around town.

I think 4.10's is the most common for the HD rears. Mine does around 2800-3k @ 65-70 w/31.7" rear tires. Some guys will do 3.73's & there are also 3.54's available but like you mentioned it could impact the ability to get a load moving. I search C-list weekly for a 4l80e.
I called them yesterday and the guy Eric was really helpful. I ended up ordering a 5/7" kit from them to avoid having to cut into the bed, and our new england roads SUCK so he suggested thats a good height for looks and still keeping some driveability around here.

He also set me up with the semi wheels so I'm real excited to get this stuff in and transform this truck!

I definitely need to decide on something to make it more highway speed friendly. Whats needed on the 4l80e swap? I would assume swapping gears is easier but maybe not?