View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 10:38 PM   #8
RyanAK

Re: "Bourbon" 1975 Suburban Scottsdale

Beautiful family, man! Great adventure. I too got a ride on a flatbed in my Burb recently. Fun, but a high ‘pucker factor’. (I am not a brave fireman...)

Couple tips, since you and I will obviously use our rigs pretty similarly....

A regular ol’ futon mattress fits perfectly in the back. A 5-year-old sleeps soundly on the big second row bench.

Check rear seatbelts that they latch and secure the car seats.

A hitch receiver cargo carrier adds capacity but is a PITA with a tailgate. Wish my rig had a roof rack...

I keep one of those little kiddie potties in the back for my little girl and boy to use on our “a-ventures”. Drop the tailgate, let them do their thing, dump and fertilize the roadside flowers, back on the road. When my little girl has to go she has to go RIGHT NOW and neither kiddo has mastered pooping in the woods.

Carry tools and spares. It’s one thing for you or I to get stranded on an adventure. Something else entirely when loving wife and precious kids are along.

Plan your stops. BIG truck with 1975 brake technology.

A LOT of people will stop to talk about a Suburban. More than a pickup. They bring back childhood memories or nostalgia about owning one long ago when their family was young. I’ve heard some heartwarming stories.

Just a few ‘old Suburban-specific’ things that pickup guys might not think about. I’m sure you probably have thought of most of this. Have fun. I’m excited for ya and can’t wait to see where you go with Bourbon. Being able to have the family along makes these trucks so special. Sweet Pea is Daddy’s truck, but Bourbon is THEIR truck.

Meet 'Earl', '71 C10 Suburban - Sold, but not forgotten...

Meet... yet to be named, ‘78 K10 Suburban Daily Driver
RyanAK is offline   Reply With Quote