View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
hewittca

Re: Introduction, nostalgia, and '68 build, oh my

The trip from my home in Advance NC to where the truck was took us about 3 hours into the Appalachian Mountains, past the Blue Ridge Parkway, and into a little mountain town called Burnsville NC. I brought my father-in-law along for the journey just in case I bought the truck (which, I'll be honest, I had already made up my mind that I would buy it unless there were any unmentioned surprises). We met the owner of the truck, JD, at his house and then we followed him to his barn where the truck was. What I did not realize was that we were following him into a C10 haven.

I was so excited by what we stumbled upon by meeting JD, I did not get very good pictures of what he had lying around. Tucked away in a valley in the Appalachian Mountains was JD's barn with 15-20 C10s and piles of parts scattered about. As it turns out, JD flips C10s in his spare time outside of work. He also does quite a few short bed conversions. He was an extremely friendly, good old honest guy, and a joy to strike a deal with. If you peruse Craigslist often, I encourage you to keep Asheville NC on your list, which is where he posts his builds. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a presence elsewhere online, and mainly deals through word of mouth, so if you would like his contact info, PM me.

Anyway, back to the C10 I was there to look at. It was the green longbed '68 seen in the photos above, which is the first spot I saw it when we pulled up. After test driving it, I was sold, however, when we popped the hood again after the drive, we were greeted with antifreeze spewing from a crack in the radiator. I told JD I loved the truck, but I wasn't going anywhere with it like that. Without hesitation, JD said, "Well lets go put another radiator in it!". So we headed back to his house with a radiator he pulled from another truck.

At JD's house, we chatted about trucks, life, and family while he put in a new radiator. Here we are at his house where my father-in-law is giving the truck a more thorough inspection. Although he is not a C10 expert, he is an expert mechanic and proved to be an invaluable person to bring along. By the way, tucked away in that garage is an original big block truck that JD is currently restoring, so keep an eye out for that on Craigslist if you are interested!

After getting the radiator buttoned up, we headed over to get the title notarized, and I handed over a wad of cash. JD assured me he trusted the truck to the journey, and after spending a few hours with him that day, I already felt I could trust his word, and we were on our way home. 200 miles later, I arrived home with zero issues and a huge grin on my face. As I mentioned earlier, my son was also thrilled with the new addition and couldn't get enough of it.

So what exactly did I get myself into with this truck anyway? In the next post I will detail some of the key elements of this truck and why I was all but sold on it the instant I saw it.
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote