View Single Post
Old 01-18-2021, 05:11 PM   #470
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Thanks guys!

Made it down to Quality Finishing this morning with all my aluminum panels and pieces. They will clear anodize all of them. Said they have about a week backlog which isn't too bad.

Back at the ranch, I got the rear seatbelts and seat installed. Sounds easy when you say it fast, but like many other pieces it took some finesse. When they upholstered the seats, they were working without the car, so it's hard to blame them for the hiccups. The hinges for the rear seat back were on upside down and most of the trim around the border wasn't aligned correctly. In order to fit the hinges upside down, they had to drill four holes in the bottom trim piece. Fortunately, when I removed everything to correct the hinge position, I was able to reassemble it and cover up the holes.

The reason they couldn't get the hinges to go on properly was because the plywood back they made using my original as a pattern was cut wrong. I peeled back the material and used a coarse bit in my die grinder to get the clearance I needed to flip the hinge over into the proper position. After that, I was able to align the border trim and make it fit better.

I was a bit disappointed that the seams didn't line up better, but they're not off by that much, so I'll live with it I reckon. The seat belts help hide the worst of it and nobody looks at the back seat that closely anyway. Kathy is really amazed at how roomy it is back there and said it was big enough to take a nap in if I get her up too early when we finally get on the road.

Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote