View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 01:32 AM   #58
Ptjsk

Re: Ptjsk '72 Jimmy Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosprint View Post
Excellent build. Bummer about the hidden rust, but it looks like you are taking good care of fixing it right. At the rate you are going you will probably be on the trail before my 4x4 project gets started.
I don't know, this has taken me longer than I anticipated (as usual), but I'm getting closer. It started out as just a simple motor rebuild. Of course that went into the transmission, front and rear axles, and takes off from there! Project creep! I did finish the rockers today, and replaced small patches behind the rear tires. So now, I should be back to finishing the AC unit and move onto assembling the front fenders and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7D2N View Post
Nice build Pat, I think all these old blazers have rust, would you mind sharing where you got the replacement rockers. I have fought mine all the way.
Thanks for the comment. I'm with you and your thoughts that all of these old Blazers/Jimmy's have hidden rust. Fortunately, I think I was able to capture it all.

Kind of crazy how it happened, but I ended up using two different manufacturers for the rockers.

On the passenger side, I utilized GMC Paul's for the part. On the drivers side, I contacted Summit and utilized the manufacturer of AMD (Auto Metal Direct).

I did have to message and splice both of the pieces, but I think the one from Paul's was a tad bit easier. But that's not really saying much, as both of them worked out pretty darn good.

The reason I went with Summit on the drivers side was the fact that I was unsure I was going to replace that one. When I did finally decide to move forward, I wanted it as soon as possible. I'm definitely glad I did as I found problems underneath of that side too. Anyway, I went with Summit simply due to the fact that shipping was much cheaper, and I was able to obtain it the very next day. If you order at least $100.00 dollars worth of items, shipping is free of charge. So I just ordered items that I know I was going to need totaling just over $100.00.

The two pieces that were rusted completely out (at the bottom of the "A" pillars), were ordered from Orange Trucks. You can see in the pics that I spliced them in just under the bottom hinges. Definitely not the same quality as being built by GM, but it was still pretty easy to make them work.

I did shave/cut down the edge where the inner rocker, the structural box, and the outer rocker all meet. I only removed about an 1/8" of an inch but it made a huge difference on my ability to obtain the proper gap along the bottom of my doors. I also used a 4" x 6" block, and a bottle jack to help push it up and hold it in place while I welded it. I pulled the inside edge into the door with the use of wide jawed vice grips. You can see it in my pic when I was test fitting.

I'm definitely no expert at all with metal replacement, but what problems are you running into?

Pat

Last edited by Ptjsk; 12-06-2019 at 01:38 AM.
Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote