View Single Post
Old 02-20-2022, 09:41 PM   #1451
jocko

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
That truck is an Atlanta build and and they didn't add the RPO Codes to the Highlanders. This truck has all the options of RPO Code YG8 which was the top Package of the 3 offered. Gotta thank SSTim for putting this thread and info together.
Thanks Greg, I believe Tim's statement is only referring to the fact that the nomenclature on the SPID for the seat material was plant-dependent and it seems he was also stating that the use of the word Highlander in the seat material nomenclature could also be dependent on whether or not a package was ordered (i.e. sometimes "611 Custom Trim" vs sometimes "611 Blue Highlander Plaid," for example - and note that the word "Highlander" never appears in a Package truck YG_ RPO SPID's nomenclature) - so I don't "think" he was necessarily stating that the presence of a YG_ code was plant-dependent, but you never know. But also note that Highlander trim was available before the discount packages were - so an early model year Highlander could indeed have all the bells and whistles of a C package truck, but the buyer would have paid full price because the promo packages weren't available until the latter half of the model year.

Anyway, I'd love to see an owner of an Atlanta Highlander with a SPID like this share the original sales documents that show that the buyer indeed got the package $ discount (any chance VAPhil?) - otherwise, I don't think there's any way to know whether it was ordered with the package discount or if someone just checked the boxes for those options. Have we seen any such sale documents that prove the theory? I'd love to know.

Having said that, I've also never seen an Atlanta Highlander with an accompanying YG_ code ... and I've also never seen an Atlanta truck with the plaid seat code that had LESS than the full complement of YG8 options (i.e. "just" the seat, or "just" the A or B package, etc). But I also haven't seen many Atlanta Highlanders period, so still don't really know what I don't know .

Thanks again Greg, interesting topic!

Ok, more odd Highlander tidbit for which I have no idea the correct answer. It sure seems like a large % of Highlanders floating around out there are C20 Custom Campers. I'm curious if it was just coincidence that a LOT of people ordered them this way - or if perhaps a LOT of dealers ordered Highlander plaid along with the Customer Camper option and sold them off the lot like that (i.e. not customer orders). Whatever the answer, I'm glad whoever ordered them that way did so, because I sure like a nice C20 Custom Camper Highlander when I see one...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote