Thread: 74' by Jabes...
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #64
Jabes1

Re: 74' by Jabes...

The original owners of the 91 Burb must have whacked into something off-roading with the passenger side mirror. It was held in place with two black zip ties. Campbell Sport Trucks made me a deal I couldn't refuse and I acquired them in this shape. Super stoked!!! Im not putting these on my truck with zip ties. These mirrors can be purchased new for around $200, but at this point I don't want to spend the money. The mechanism that allows the mirror to fold has a spring and a retainer at the top. The metal retainer/clip is what is broken allowing the mirror to effortlessly fold back on itself. I'm not really interested in the fact that these mirrors collapse/fold back, so its not exactly pertinent that they retain this function at this time. I'm interested in the fact that I can adjust the mirror from the drivers side while parking next to a curb. I drilled three small holes in a triangle and inserted screws through the mount into the mirror housing. The screws will be hidden and nobody will be the wiser. Best of all...its reversible if I ever need to undo my fix.

This really burst my bubble... the idea that they would bolt up proved to be a big negative. The mirrors will only use one factory mounting point. The other two holes will have to be welded shut and metal finished. Not a big deal or a whole lot of work, but still a bummer.

Here's the original harness from the 91' Burbs power doors. My doors already have the harness, so I just need to separate the power mirror portion from the rest. I plan on keeping the harness just in case I may ever need a new one.

The harness for the power mirrors is stripped and ready to be integrated into the power doors I plan to use.

Original door panel in grey to match the interior. This switch is needed to control the power mirrors. I have everything from the Burb, so this should be plug and play. Someone could probably very easily integrate a newer more compact switch into the door panels or dash somewhere, but I think the General did a good job. So I'll apply the KISS motto here.

At the paint and body supply, I found two hues I like. I'm still undecided though... Sometimes I want to keep it simple and low key, like work truck white. Super straight and sano white.... these trucks look so good white. Other days I think about painting it a dark metallic blue such as the color of the power doors I acquired from a pick and pull. Decisions... decisions.