Thread: 55.2-59 Ol' Blue
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 05:41 PM   #100
8man

Re: Ol' Blue

Well, we have been slow, but not sleeping. I have the bed sides, rear cross sill and front panel at the dipper to be stripped. I have the 3 piece rear bumper, the door side panels, a couple of bed cross sills, the covers for the tailgate retractors and the bracket that holds the spare tire carrier under the frame at a shop that soda blasts them and then will prime them.

I also spent the better part of 5 weeks trying to get the Master Coat to do the frame and other parts. It is hard to get right now. I used it on the Chief and really like the rust proofing it provides. I have a kit coming now and can start shooting frame and parts when it gets here.

The hood has a roll to the rear corner where the PO let it get off the truck onto the road, and I have it with a guy who soda blasted it so he can work on it. Wouldn't you know it, the bend was where the PO had repaired the rust out with Bondo! When it hit the pavement, it bent right there. Now that he knows what he has to work with, he is supposed to get on it and will need the cab and front end to test fit his work, so I have not taken everything off the cab in preparation to take it to be dipped, but I'm waiting on the body guy.

I've disassembled everything else I can, so I started working on details.

First, I decided to use the Vintage Air Mini since it takes up the least amount of space under the dash. IT has 4 controllers. So I had to figure out how I could get 4 controllers and a power point on that dasy.

IMG_1731 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

I saved the ashtray, just in case I ever want to put it back original, and I made a panel for it. Then I had the heater panel on the right and it had a heater temp knob in it at one time. I bought a patch panel and started cutting and welding. The heater panel is held in place by the clip on top and the two bolts on bottom. My new ashtray panel is held in by a bolt on top and one on bottom with the round bumps for the controllers.

I also had one taillight clip. It is the one on the right, and I could not find a replacement. So, I made a duplicate. These hold the taillight lenses in the Cameo taillight.

IMG_1730 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

I have been using the blast cabinet with a fine media to blast all the parts I can. I then treat them with a product that helps prevent rust until I can get them primed.
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote