View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #122
OrrieG

Re: My 56 6bt 4X4 build.

Here is the steering template and some photos of how mine is set up. Note the tape in on the end or a 58-59 frame which is longer than 55-57. The angle allows the steering box arm to stay parallel to the frame when it rotates. Also, depending on how big of tires you are going to run you will NOT be able to get full lock turning right, the tires will hit the drag link. Not a big deal in town but make turning around on logging roads and parallel parking a challenge. You can also use a jeep box (same box but opposite hand) that mounts on the inside of the frame in front of the crossmember. It uses crossover steering attacked to the tie rod. Some toyoto boxs mount in the same place as stock, but they are getting hard to find. I have also heard but not seen that mid 2000's GM boxes will work in the stock location to. That gets rid of the drag link interference. Also, I bolted thru because the threads on my box were not holding well and I wanted the extra nut to lock everything in place.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf steering box plate.pdf (60.1 KB, 261 views)
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote