View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #466
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

There will be more carburetor tuning once I get past the current issues.
One of which is newly discovered. It appears that my alternator is only charging for several minutes after start up. I'm not sure if it is the regulator or the alternator that is the problem. Although I am leaning towards the idea of worn brushes in the alternator. Irregardless I've decided the best course of action is to change to a newer style internally regulated alternator. Over the winter I noticed the current factory set up would go slightly to the discharge side when the wipers, heater, head lights, and the air compressor were on and the truck was idling. Not enough amps to go around. I will need to do a bit of a wiring upgrade to make sure the increase in alternator charging capacity doesn't cause a problem. Looks like it is time for a trip to the parts store.

While I had the WMB up on the jack stands for the starter replacement I added some Posi lube to the differential oil. The Posi had been catching (chattering) when I come off the freeway and turning while decelerating. The rear end did have some chatter after the rebuild and the shop added a second bottle of the Posi lube. They said if that didn't do the trick they would have to open it up and check it out. Fortunately it solved the problem until recently. As that was a year and at least 8000 miles ago. The chatter is not as bad now as it was just out of the shop so I'm hoping that refreshing the Posi lube will do the trick.
In order to refresh the Posi lube I removed the fill plug (Green arrow) and used a large syringe with a piece of clear tubing to remove about 8 ounces of lube from the housing. I saved this oil in a clean jar for use later Then using the same syringe and tube I added the 6 ounces of Posi lube. (Actually Spicer Additive Friction Modifier) Then using the oil I removed I topped the oil level off and reinstalled the plug.
I learned the hard way years ago that just jacking one side of the rear end up and adding the Posi lube (instead of taking the time to remove enough oil to make room for the new Posi lube oil) will result in having oil leak from the outer axle bearing seal and on to your brakes.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote