View Single Post
Old 02-01-2022, 11:58 AM   #68
custom10nut

Re: Found my grandfathers 71 gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgieb51 View Post
This thread makes me think of a few things. I am now a grandfather and I still have the truck I bought 35 years ago, when my two daughters were ages 2 and 6. The truck is a 1972 Custom Deluxe Highlander. I used it for many years as a work truck, always taking it off the road in the winter, until I restored it and now it is too nice to use as a work truck. But I remember my kids riding in it when they were very young . I have often thought of giving it to one of my two daughters but they really do not have a way to store it and take care of it. They just are not truck people although one likes it alot. I guess this makes me realize I need to have a conversation about this because sentimental value counts for more than money. But I also have grandchildren, and that opens up other things to consider. I hope that you find your truck in your driveway one day. At least you have fond memories of your grandfather, and that counts for a lot.
I can relate to this, as I bought my truck in 1992, (I was a 30 year career Army guy) when my daughter was 3 and my son was 6 weeks old. Neither one can remember me not having “the Truck”.
My son grew up under the hood as he spent many hours with me while we worked on it together. It was a defining moment in his life, when he was 16 yo and we had to run to the Auto parts store. The look on his face was PRICELESS when I asked him if he wanted to drive. He Still talks about “the day that dad entrusted me with driving the truck”.
It was tough moving around and holding onto to it as assignment change, and at one time it was in storage for five years when we were stationed in Germany, but now I’m so glad I did.
Now I’m retired, but my daughter works GS, and my son is an Army Tank Mechanic (go figure).
My love for theses trucks comes from my Dad’s 69 GMC, that I learned to drive and be a mechanic in. It’s long gone, as the Michigan Rust claimed it so many years ago.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote