View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
fsckewe

Re: Adding a power brake booster to a '65 C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Will you be adding a dual reservoir master cylinder in the process? (I'd recommend it, and it's inexpensive).

If retaining 4 wheel drum brakes, my recommendation is to use the following:
a) buy a dual reservoir, dual drum master cylinder and power booster together as a unit (67 C10 is a great starting point, parts readily available and it was a drum/drum arrangement from the factory)
b) mount it with CaptFab's booster bracket.

Buying the mc and booster together as a single part number from somewhere (Oreily's Carquest, you name it) ensures that you will have the correct intermediate pushrod length between the mc and booster.
You will still need to adjust the length of the pedal to booster pushrod, but that's true for this particular upgrade no matter what setup you use. Normally will need to buy a longer adjustable rod or lengthen your own in some way with an adjustable locknut arrangement to allow fine tuning.

CaptFab's bracket keeps the booster pretty darn close to the firewall and is a neat, compact install. I am not positive, his bracket may be geared more to the mid-70's booster,which is disk/drum and a slightly different booster bolt pattern, but I do know that if that is the case, the mounting holes can be oblonged a slight bit and it will still work just fine. I bought it, planned it all out, but sold the truck before I installed it. Capt would have all the details for you.
I am having some brake issues (brakes locking) on a '65. While(maybe after) I am tackling that I am going to add boost and a dual pot to my single pot setup. I will likely be following your advice on setup selection. While I am mechanically inclined and insanely intelligent, I know nothing about automobiles. Purchasing this vehicle a year ago has been a learning experience. I have a question.

Can someone please help clarify something for me: what does jocko mean by his comment regarding the pedal-to-booster pushrod and adjusting the length? I know this is likely a simple question, but confusing to me. Might there be a diagram or photo that exists? I just don't have real world hands-on experience with braking systems.

Apologies if this is a thread hi-jack. Thanks.

Edit:
ah, scratch that I think. Much like every other forum on the internet, the search function is your friend!
I think this will suffice my question (for anyone else who finds this):
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548472

Last edited by fsckewe; 02-13-2013 at 08:50 PM.
fsckewe is offline   Reply With Quote