View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
ray_mcavoy

Re: Idiot Lights to Gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmstd View Post
However, i am experiencing the oil pressure gauge is wanting to peg over past 60psi at the 3:00 position. When i unplug the sending unit on the engine, it will at least stop trying to push the gauge the any further.
The electric oil pressure gauge uses the same type of meter movement as the fuel gauge and can be tested using the same basic procedures.

With the sending unit wire unplugged, the gauge should read maximum pressure (or a bit beyond). Temporarily grounding the sending unit wire should make the gauge read zero (or close to it).

Quote:
Has anyone else experienced this? I used a new Standard PS154T (single terminal) sending unit and am questioning that this is any good or if i may have further issues or possibly damaged the gauge.
That is the correct sending unit to be using with a 60 PSI gauge. You can make sure the sending unit is okay by testing it with an ohmmeter. With the engine off (zero pressure) you should get a reading in the zero to 27Ω range (that's with the meter connected between the sending unit's terminal and ground). And with the engine running you should get a higher resistance reading ... up to about 90Ω depending on the actual oil pressure.

Quote:
Just as FYI, i have another gauge set i have tried as back up to validate the set i am using.
If you are experiencing the same oil pressure gauge problems with both gauge clusters, that seems to indicate a wiring issue.

And speaking of that, I believe the 4.3 V6 that was originally in your truck would have been equipped with an electric choke. The factory electric choke wiring was routed through a 2-terminal oil pressure switch so the choke would only receive power with the engine running. That same switch was also used to operate the "OIL/CHOKE" light in the warning light clusters. So simply re-pinning the cluster end of that wire would still leave the other end tied into the electric choke circuit. That could possibly be back-feeding power to the sending unit circuit and causing the gauge peg to the 3 O'Clock position.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote