View Single Post
Old 05-11-2022, 12:45 PM   #28
davem815

Re: Grandpa's Truck '71 Chevy C20

desertnick69, finally some small progress on this project. I was able to get it started, after putting a battery in it and filling the 1 gl jug with gas, and drive it under it's own power into the work bay, after sitting for more than a year. It runs, but no working brakes.

About 13 months ago, it got moved out of the shop/man cave area to a storage bay to get ready for a graduation party in the shop/man cave. It was supposed to be a short break, but here we are.

After the graduation parts I planned on getting the fire truck ready for the 4th of July parade. Well it needed more than a rear brake line replaced. After replacing two rear brake lines, the front drum was hanging up. This is a much bigger truck than I have ever worked on. The rear brake line I replaced were short jumper lines from the main wheel cylinder to the second wheel cylinder on each rear wheel. On the front drum brakes, I replace the wheel cylinders and the flexible hoses. The hoses had red overspray on them from when the fire truck was painted, so they had to have been 1963 originals. 1963 Ford C750/Howe. I had never worked on Budd wheel before, but got those reinstalled without much problem. I also replaced a leaking clutch slave cylinder. Missed the parade.

Then the wife '66 GMC got selected to be in a magazine, so we spent about a month on cleaning, phone interviews, transporting and photographing it.

Son is also running Cross Country, indoor and outdoor track in college, so spent some weekends traveling.

Then I need to replace front brake pads on my wife's 2004 Wrangler Rubicon. After I replaced the front pads, the calipers were hanging up, so had to tear it apart again to replace the calipers and hoses. Front brakes, calipers, and hoses later, the rear brakes also needed replaced. And found several worn out rubber bushing and Heim joint in the lift kit that needed replaced.

So what I thought was going to be a month or two delay, turned into 13 months. But it is back in the work bay, the son is home from first year of college and is wanting to work on it. I need to finish installing all new brake lines and he is going to work on the front brakes.

The pre-bent line I ordered worked great for the front, but the rears were for a different combination that what I have, 3/4 ton, coil spring/trailing arms, and Eaton axle. So I need to cut the front to back line, and splice in a run to the axle. I don't remember the details. The front hoses I had bought were too short, but I had bought new longer ones. I had most of the lines ran, but not clamped in. I hope I can remember where the clamps go, didn't take many pictures because it was just going to be apart for a few days. lol.

Sorry for the long update, but a lot happened in thirteen months. Also replaced a window that the mower threw a rock though. And had back troubles for a month.
2014 GMC K2500 Crewcab 6.0 gas
2005 GMC Canyon Ext cab 4wd daily driver
1963 F*rd/Howe C750 fire truck 11,000 miles
davem815 is offline   Reply With Quote