View Single Post
Old 03-30-2023, 05:16 PM   #20
wrangler94

Re: 14 bolt for $400?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
Wow thank you all so much for the info.

There is only one single reason I have ever looked into replacing my H072: rear brake drums.
I also have another reason but that is more of a "bonus" than an acttual reason: serviceability, parts availability, and knowledge of 14 bolts if I were to be stranded in another state while traveling for some reason.

I don't believe there are any rules for posting links to other forums. I'd love that link if you want to PM me instead.

Like I said before,it appears my rear end/brakes all work perfectly fine; I am just keeping my eye out for a suitable 14 bolt at my leisure so I can be ready if I ever need to make the change. I am intending on daily driving this 1 ton when it is finished.
Here is the link, which will show you all the reasons why alot of people think it was the best axle ever produced. 14 bolts are great, I put one in the 1994 jeep I built for rock crawling, but all the greatness of the 14 bolt was built on the back of the HO72. They dropped the idea of the removable third member though for some reason. As mentioned before you can swap 14 bolt brakes on your HO72, or even disk brake swap it. I wouldn't remove it.
https://irate4x4.com/threads/eaton-h...thread.379709/

quotes from that link
Quote:
I have seen many comments on the HO72 thread at the old place like
"I ran 44in tires and 400HP with no problem"
"I filled it with mud and the thing didnt care"
Quote:
parts availability has been an iffy topic. The only thing I can say I have personal experience with is the wheel bearings. I changed those out when I did mine. I ordered them in the AM and they were at the parts store that afternoon. I forgot which one, but the inner or outer wheel bearing is the same as the carrier bearing. From a carrier bearing and wheel bearing/seal standpoint I have had no issues getting parts. (This was 5 years ago though)

pinion bearings are a different story, I never had to order them. For ****s and giggles I called around one day and I was told a warehouse in LA had some. They were expensive (like $300) but they had em....But who knows if that’s just the last one on the shelf, never to be made again type of scenario, or they can get more.

you cant get new R&P’s but they don’t break :flipoff2: and come in offroad friendly ratios.
Quote:
One of the big things about these axles that gives them the strength and durability is the original use of hemispherical style cone bearings, ie the Hyatt stuff that is machined in an orbital. This allows deformation of various surfaces under high load but doesn't alter the surface area of the bearing in contact with the race, ie, no single pointing or shoulder loading a square edge modern style taper bearing because the orbital match of the bearing makes up for the changes.
I've run one of these with the gears so pitted that you'd swear someone was arc -gouging the teeth of the ring, and it never let me down.

For the weight to strength ratio, and clearance gains from shaving. Disc brake options, etc... I'd put this as one of the best built axles ever. The quality of the machine and casting work in most of the ones I've opened is far far superior to anything Dana I've been into.

Last edited by wrangler94; 03-30-2023 at 05:25 PM. Reason: more info
wrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote