Thread: Carburetor
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2022, 08:06 AM   #22
MARKDTN

Re: Carburetor

I like EFI conversions on old cars. Here is my real-world example. I have an '83 K20. I have had it for 30 years. 350/700R4/3.42 gears. When I got it I was getting 14.5mpg with the Qjet in mixed city driving. I put over 100K miles on it that way. I had single exhaust no cats, then duals no cats, then single with factory cat, and finally dual exhaust with hi-flow cats. None of that made any difference in mileage. A cam lobe went down and I swapped in a bone stock 350 Tuned Port engine (aluminum heads) from a '90 Corvette. With no changes I now get over 17 mpg in mixed driving and have gotten over 20 with pure interstate. Driveability is much improved. It starts immediately. Towing is much better. Used to be you really had to get into the gas to maintain speed on a hill, but now you just press a little. I have done several square body TPI conversions and one in a '72 swb. For that one I used an '85 S10 Blazer tank-which was TBI fuel injected-and a in tank IROC pump. (For the square bodies I use '87 tanks with that pump, but you can't do that on a 67-72). I like TPI over anything aftermarket for a stock engine. Parts are available at any auto parts store in the country as TPI was in Corvette, Camaro, and Trans-Am. Price wise you are probably $200-250 for a nice TPI unit and distributor, $200 for a set of injectors, $250-300 for a harness, $30 for an ECM, $150 for a PROM, and $150 for a fuel tank and pump. You could use a stock fuel tank with return and use an external pump (like '88 F150) which I have done on another conversion. Anyway, another option.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote