View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #14
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: TOTM - Mar 06 - The Beasts

Here's one thats sure to draw attention from the voters, a true "beast" in a Frankensteinian sense. It's a satin black (not sure if it's Krylon or the Wal-mart equivalent) over the OE medium blue. The door has gray primer accents over OE Wheatland yellow. The patina you see on this rare specimen comes from years of dried on pine sap drippings from sitting in the woods. Not evident in the pics is a healthy dose of green mold on the lower bedsides giving it the "tropical rain forest" effect. Truely a multi-colored, multi-textural feast for the senses. A one-off, often imitated, never duplicated.

Note also the "rat-rod" red rims. This truck started that trend, as evidenced by the fact they are split rims with 30 year old weather-cracked radials. The coup-de-grace is the subtle use of broken (not sawed off) pressure treated deck railing in the stake pockets. I wanted something that would stand the rigors of New England, yet exude a rugged natural beauty. They've been carefully arranged to portray a Salvidor Dali-esque cognative dissonence.

A little history:

It started out as a low-mileage rust-free vehicle. An optioned out 72 Sierra Grande 3/4 ton 4x4. You know the kind, the one Gramps bought to go RV camping with and died a few years later, and from there it sat. I wanted to do something different so I "rustored" it. I sold or junked all the options and trim (buckets, tach dash, tilt, should belts, etc, etc), ripped off the clean sheetmetal ( I was surprised I didn't need a torch, but used one anyway ) , and proceeded to locate some "well-loved" pieces to replace them. Here it is, after years of work, a labor of love, a one-off rustification. Whadda ya'll think?
Attached Images

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all

Last edited by CPNE; 03-13-2006 at 10:37 PM.