View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
geoff.clark
SheetMetalNoob

Re: Project Rusty (70 C10 Suburban)

Here is the latest update. The goal for this truck is a complete frame off resto, but I promised my son he would hear it run before we start tearing it apart. So off we go.

Decided to teach my son how to change the oil and filter. We got the oil pan and tools ready to do the job. I got under the truck with my son and said this is how you loosen the bolt just get ready for the stream - haha. Somehow I ended up removing the drain plug - man this kid is smart. Story reproduces itself for installing the new filter. He how ever did put in the new oil.

Next we removed all old spark plugs and wires. After a few runs to the parts store and couple other errands this was the end of Saturday.

Sunday we needed to get the engine to TDC, I could not find a way to get to the Harmonic Balancer bolt with out removing the radiator and fan housing. Maybe you guys have some secrets. After doing this we removed the old points distributor, installed the new spark plugs. Installed new HEI distributor, ran new 14g from firewall for distributor power. I was able to get my son to install the plugs, except for #6, not sure why he had difficulties with this one. Finally he found his stride. Created and installed new spark plug wires.

We are so close to starting this puppy - getting excited and tired. All of sudden I noticed my son placed a wrench on the battery - You guessed it - he crossed the posts with the wrench. Oh no - what did you do, kicked the wrench away so no more damage could be done. Well there went that battery.

Finished everything up... But what a let down for a weekend full of work, well hopefully this weekend we will get a new battery and get this puppy running.

I'll add some pics of the progress tomorrow when I have some sun light.

83 Chevy Custom Deluxe I6 250 lwb (aka) Trash Runner
geoff.clark is offline   Reply With Quote