View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 01:30 AM   #326
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

There are no rivets attaching the front crossmembers. They are all bolts. If your engine is currently out, this can be a quick and easy way to upgrade to front disc brakes if the donor suspension is in good runable condition. If the suspension, steering and brakes need parts replaced, then just changine the control arms and outward parts, may be the better option. The complete crossmember can be changed with the engine in place, but it is not an easy task.

On changing the axles from 6 lug to 5 lug, yes there is one hole that overlaps the other, and ata minimum that hole needs to be plugged. I believe there is another pair of holes that is close as well. If I were changing from 6 x 5.5 to 5 x 5, I would just plug all 6 holes and be done with it. If you have to pay someone to do this for you, be sure to compare the cost of that work with the cost of new conversion axles. Also be sure to closely inspect the axle/wheel bearing surface of the axles prior to investing money in the wheel bolt pattern change. If you do decide to change the bolt pattern yourself, be honest about your skill level to perform a critical job such as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
Ok....Just revisiting this from the perspective of possibly going the route of 5 lug...I know where there is a C10 Burb that i could prob get the parts from that if im not mistaken is just a roller. So to convert my truck to 5 lug front i have two options correct?

drill out the rivets of both front suspensions and swap in the entire front assembly from the Burb

or remove the Control arms and spindles from the burb and bolt them to my existing crossmember

As for converting the rear to 5 lug how reliable is having the original rear axles redrilled? If im not mistaken only one of the 5 holes needs to be drilled through part of an existing hole from the 6 lug correct?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE