View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #80
e015475

Re: 49 GMC Five Window

Sure, but there has not been much progress lately. Finished the paint job almost a year ago and I've just been piddling along

Was not happy with the clearance of the hydroboost to the header collector, so I moved the booster and master back about fifteen inches on the inner frame rail. Here is the pedal assembly with the clutch master and the pedal ratios correct for a hydroboost

The bracket for the remote hydroboost. Filling the master will now have to be under the driver seat

The relocated hydroboost now occupies the space where the pickup for the trailing arm mounted for the Jag IRS. Will have to redesign and weld up a new crossmember. Not looking forward to working under the truck.

My bear claw latches are in and working well. Had clevis ends on all the control rods, but was not happy with the door action, so I replaced them all with miniature rod ends. Can now open the door with one finger and it shuts with just a gentle push (no rubber in the door yet though)

Bought a radiator for the GMC, but had to return it for incorrect mounts and filler neck in the wrong location. Not quite sure what to do for a radiator. Someone suggested the Ron Davis radiator, but the price is about 2x. Maybe the 'pay it and just cry once' adage applies here. Nice looking radiator, but it just didnt fit. I was part Chevy and part GMC

Truck has been jacked up in the shop for most of the year waiting to have the brake master installed and the lines plumbed

I bought a lot of parts last year getting ready to plumb the fuel, air and brakes - most of it is sitting in the bed of the truck. Having some second thoughts about the airbag suspension. A company in Portland is making a coil over setup for the front and rear of the Jag suspension and I'm temped to change directions

Since I retired, there seems to be less time to work on the truck. I talked to the shop that helped me with the metal work and paint, and he said to bring it back to the shop and he would help me finish it. I spent about eight months last year working in his shop, mostly on the truck, and it was a fun learning experience. I told him I would bring it back in January and take him up on his offer. I think that is the only way it is going to get done. I need the discipline of showing up at the shop four or five days a week to work on the truck and keep me away from the other projects I have at home, surfing the net, talking with the wife, drinking beer and taking naps. I never understood people who told me 'Since I've retired I don't know how I had time to work', but I am beginning to see what they meant.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote