View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #23
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Pics from our fire - REPLACE YOUR CHEAP SURGE PROTECTOR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
I friend of mine was talking about some 8 track tapes he found recently, and I started naming all the ones I had, and I suddenly stopped and said "Well, I HAD those." That keeps happening to me, and you really stop and think about what you've lost. I hope none of you ever have to go through it.
My situation was not nearly as severe as yours, it happened at work. We had a shop fire in a very large cabinet shop. There was one interior "fire door" that did actually deploy and seperate the two halves of the building....but it wasn't much good. The stuff on the "wet" side was just destroyed by a different method. My work area (and tools) was nearest the back door. The most intense area was about 20 feet from mine and that door was like a chimney. Nothing of mine was actually burnt, as in "on fire", but 80% if it was melted by the rushing heat.
Luckily for us as employees, the bosses were insured very well. We got a very fair pay-out for our personal belongings, but like you said, so many things are lost. Our fire was nearly 2 years ago and it still comes up that something is missing. Most of us kept notes, drawings, jigs for specific opertions, etc. and all of that stuff is just gone. There is just no way for an insurance company to quantify that kind of thing and you forget about it until you need it.

Rebuilding and replacing is an adventure in and of itself. Embrace it for what it is......the begining of new memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote