View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #89
SkinnyG

Re: SkinnyG's '61 Apache

Spent a number of hours finalizing the Fox-Body steering rack to minimize bumpsteer. I had to take a small chunk out of the crossmember where the passenger side lug goes, but nothing I can't re-shape and repair.

I set everything up at ride height, and checked for any toe change at a full 3" bump and 3" droop, using this fancy device to see the change.

I got it down to a fart of toe in on both bump and droop, so I took the inner tie rods off and shaved 1/16" off the end of the rack threads, which now gives me a tick of toe out on bump and droop (dang!), which is more preferable than in (oh, well - yay! then). I guess I can shim it more precisely if it is even a perceptible problem.

Simple apparatus for adjusting rack height shown below. Square tube supporting Redi-Rod which is threaded into muffler clamp saddles (had to use zap-straps (zip-ties) to hold the rack, since I didn't have any 2.5" clamps). By threading the Redi-Rod up or down with a nut, I could position the rack, then test for bump steer.

Honestly, fretting over wee bits of bumpsteer is a waste, in my opinion. If anything in the setup changes, nothing will be optimal and you have go in again.

I was, however, pleased to discover that full lock of the steering doesn't run the wheels on the control arms anywhere. Yay!
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote