Thread: Drum is stuck
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2022, 10:40 PM   #7
dmjlambert

Re: Drum is stuck

So far I have not found a reason for the smoking. It looks fine to me, other than I have the long shoe in front. So I'm puzzled.

Something I omitted from the story is last week I adjusted my brakes because my automatic adjusters are not keeping them adjusted as they wear. I adjusted them so they were tight and then backed off the adjusters until the drum moved freely. I did that on all 4 wheels. I was needing to get that done because the brake pedal was sinking too low. Every couple of years I need to do that.

I don't have anything funky going on like wrong adjuster for the side of the vehicle or anything like that. The adjuster wheel is just worn too much. I know the parts are right because when I reach in the drum window I am pushing down on the star with a screwdriver to tighten, and pushing up to loosen. I have since the adjustment driven several hundred miles and have not had this problem of the smoking and stuck brake come up. I would think if there was any drag from that adjustment it would have worn off the brake shoes just a little and there could have been smoking slightly on my first test drive after the adjustment, but the truck has been working fine and no problems. Now a week later pulling into the driveway I suddenly have a problem with just the left rear.

In the next couple weeks I'm going to completely replace my brakes with a 5 lug system from a 1971 truck. So at that time I'm going to make sure the auto adjusters are working fine.

I'm thinking of putting the drum back on and adjust it and take it for a test drive.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 08-12-2022 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Some minor corrections
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote