View Single Post
Old 09-18-2021, 09:58 PM   #7
67RS/SSx2

Re: The Journey That Is My 1972 C20 BBC Highlander

Well...more bad news. I used a flashlight to look into the in-cab tank to see how much fuel was in it. I have had the valve turned to the aux tank to try to empty it so I can drop it with less weight.

The in-cab tank is not more than 1/4 full. Hmmm? I surmise that the valve is not switching between tanks but that both tanks are active at the same time. The gauge has not changed since I brought the truck home so it is not functioning properly either.

I filled the in-cab tank to the brim a week or so ago. I also added fuel to the aux tank but not very much. Then I noticed the leak from the aux tank. It seemed to leak a lot but I have no way of knowing how much. I think fuel from the in-cab tank was moving to the aux tank as that tank leaked. Since the in-cab tank is higher, much of the fuel from that tank made its way into the aux tank and leaked out.

I am confident both tanks are low so now is probably a good time to drop the aux tank. I will have to pinch off the lines to minimize leakage while the aux tank is out. If I can manage, I will remove the switching valve also to test it. It is an electric valve likely from a newer model. The manual switchover vale is no longer in place.

Half a step forward, six steps backwards!
1972 Chevy C10 Cheyenne Super (sold)
1984 Chevy Silverado C20 crew cab (bought new by my uncle, in the family until I sold it)
67RS/SSx2 is offline   Reply With Quote