View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 05:39 PM   #10
AZ Chev

Re: OCHRE 72 K20 Restoration

Once we arrived home, I began a detailed inspection, building a spread sheet of items to do and items needed to complete the build. The intent will be a full frame-off nut and bolt restoration with all of the options on the SPID, and maybe a couple of extras. I want the build to be all original, with the exception of dual exhaust, and a small lift, and possibly slightly wider steelies than original, with original caps.

Truck appears to have all original paint, except for below the lower trim behind the left rear tire. Upon further inspection from behind the panel, there appears to be a little bit of body work/filler there, but no rust. Overall, the sheet metal is surprisingly straight, as is the tailgate, which is what I was hoping for. I was hoping to use all of the original body panels on this truck, but may have to re-think a couple of panels simply to eliminate the need for body work. The passenger bed side may be a candidate for a clean OEM bedside replacement I have on the shelf, as it has some dents length wise, like deep scrapes, and a couple of cracks in the metal around the wheel well. The bed floor doesn't have rust to speak of, but has some decent sized dents, and has seen it's fair share of heavy loads. It sags a good bit between bed braces. This, and inner rockers will most likely be the only non-OEM panels I will have to use. The RF fender cup has been cut to fit the larger tire, so I may use one of the super-clean OEM front fenders from truck #2 for that location. Other than that, it looks as if the only other body panels I will be replacing is the outer rockers due to rust holes in the door sill between the inner and outer rockers. I have NOS rockers for their replacement.

A couple of other interesting observations:
The front fenders must have been painted and primed with a different process or something from the factory. The paint on both of them are showing quite a bit more deterioration than the rest of the truck, and they both definitely appear to be original paint with original primer. It seems the front fenders on other original-paint trucks I have seen in the past didn't exactly hold up to the weather as well either. Interested in comments on this.
K20 with sport mirrors? It's on the SPID. Seems a little out of place.
Attached Images

AZ Chev is offline   Reply With Quote