View Single Post
Old 12-08-2021, 08:00 PM   #5
mr.mud1

Re: 1972 Cheyenne Super coming apart to go back together

well i have the motor/transmission out and didn't plan on having it completely apart but i do.this was supposed to be,fix the oil leaks in the engine and the trans leaks in the turbo 400,put it back together and re-install.as is sometimes the case,plans fall to pieces when you get in there and have a look.there is almost no wear in the cylinders or on the piston skirts and there are no stuck rings but every cylinder is marked by the rings where they sat and didn't move for 25 years.the valve seals are dried up and the valves that were open during that long hibernation have ugly faces and as well,the seats in the heads.all the rockers are galled and marked up,probably from the first startup,dry and sitting all those years?the bearings didn't look bad although the crank is stained,again where the bearing sat in one spot and they almost look like they were on the way to grabbing the crank,if it had sat for a few more years.sitting in a dry spot in Idaho for 25 years certainly saved the truck but didn't do the powertrain much good.i was curious to find .001 underside GM rod bearings and the main bearings are also GM but marked .0012 ??i'd love to know what happened,did the motor have trouble before it left the plant or what. i've got it all by the door for a trip to my machine shop,sometime tomorrow,Friday or early next week.i did check all the casting dates,the intake has a aug 3 71 date,one head is june 23 71,the other is june 25 71,the crankshaft is may 3 71,the block is may 25 71.it's a Tonawanda motor of course,built aug 31 71 and the truck was built in Fremont,Ca sept 71.the dates tell me it likely has all it's original castings?once i get all this to the machine shop,we'll do something with the transmission,maybe next week.maybe Santa will bring me some parts?
Attached Images

mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote