Thread: 1 Ton Revival
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2015, 08:24 AM   #18
urmyboyblue

Re: 1 Ton Revival

Got the truck off the trailer finally yesterday and is now in my drive way (the wife is out of town this weekend- won't she be happy when she gets home!) Before I got it off the trailer, I did two things- check the rear to see what condition the ring and pinion are in and freed up the brakes. The ring gear has significant rust pitting. The chunk has writing on it like it came out of a junk yard, so my guess is that it was installed this way. Guess I am looking for a 14 bolt rear now.

I found that the passenger side brakes were stuck. Since I don't plan on using that rear, the easiest thing I could figure out to do to free the drums was to take a sledge hammer and brake the drum up. Worked nicely and the brakes are now free.

I did not have time to do anything more after I unloaded it. BUT it is now on dolleys in our drive way in front of my shop. A lot closer than across the yard like it was and should be easier to start working on. I think that over July 4th weekend, I am going to try to get the existing front end off and paint the firewall and frame. I still need to find a radiator support and grille support to finish the sheet metal on the front end.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote