View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #52
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Sears...... (Rant)S

Good to hear that you landed this job. AGREE, stay away from the truck unless there is a real need. I found most of my tools in the local supply houses and built my box from scratch. One day after I gave up the wrenching, I sat down and did an inventory of what was in there---I had a small fortune that rounded up to $25,000 in the prices of that day. I still have them and am buying tools as I need them---no tool is TOO expensive, if you need it. Never get rid of it after you are done---you will wish you hadn't.

As for the job and your raises---I learned that as you get a new job---it is good to be honest with the boss and he should be honest with you---You can ask what your future looks like, so that you can make decisions from that point. The $450 a week????Is that take home or the check before taxes? If before taxes, that totals up to around $24,000 a year and that is without vacation being considered in the process. I had an individual tell me once that you should make the equivalent of your age---Age 26 equals $26,000----However that was 20 years ago and the cost of everything has grown exponentially. At your age, you will need more than that, in this day.

I interviewed for a heavy equipment mechanical shop job, in a city nearby, many years ago and was offered a job on the spot. I asked what the advancement opportunities were in the shop and the foreman told me that he was making about a $1.00/hr more than what I would start at---I told him that his job was a good opportunity--BUT it wasn't for me. A person needs to be able to go further than a $1.00 more in his life.

That is why I got out of the business and went with something that offered major income opportunities, in line with my military time. There are job opportunities out there and with the need for power in this country, there will be a lot of construction of power plants coming very soon. These things need a lot of hungry workers and mechanical types---keep your eyes open and be willing to travel a little. Good Luck.

Last edited by piecesparts; 08-08-2008 at 10:25 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote