View Single Post
Old 06-23-2022, 12:27 PM   #46
cj847

Re: Noob with a daughters project

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintcollector View Post
Palf70, Grumpy, & Nikwho,
You all have given me hope. Maybe I just don't quite understand or didn't convey what I understood.

I understood the gears that are dead are at the bottom of the engine, where the distributor connects with them. I understood it'd be taking the engine clear down into depth's I've never seen. Are the stripped cogs the timing chain, or are the "timing gears" different that with the timing chain?

I was also told it's likely the cam bearings and camshaft could also have issues.

I was told to fix or replace the engine would be upwards of $3k-$7k, and I don't have the pocketbook to cover that.

I don't have the tools to pull the rings or other such neat little gems, if necessary. Heck, I don't even have an engine hoist & mount to pull the engine...

Am I off in thinking it may be above my paygrade? I've changed timing belts on other vehicles (Hyundai Excel), but I thought the stripped cogs were harder to get too...

Thanks gents, the prognosis I was given was NOT happy or encouraging.
I am trying to read between the lines here. Does the motor run just not well or what? It is one thing if you timing chain has some slack or has jumped a tooth. It's different if the engine is known to be pretty well worn out. In my experience, when an engine needs a timing chain you generally need a new engine. It sounds like that is what the old guys were trying to tell you.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote