Thread: 14 bolts
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 09:44 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Re: 14 bolts

The difference is with semi-floating axles the weight of the vehicle bears on the axle shaft. It's bearing in housing with axle on bearing. With full floating axles the weight bears on the housing with the shaft "floating". It's bearing in hub with hub on husing. The shaft just spins and takes torque. Much less stress on the shaft. This is why heavier trucks ALL use this design. Semi-floaters are thensame design as cars.
I put 3/4t axles in my '85 Jimmy. sure, it's the same axle I took out, except it has bigger brakes for the bigger/heavier tires.It was easier and cheaper than changing the 1/2t 10-bolt to 4.10 as well. Also, 8-lugs are stronger than 6 and the studs are bigger. I've broken studs on 6-lug trucks and never on an 8-lug. It makes total sense. It's an easy swap and prices between 1t and 3/4t don't even compare. Not to mention a Dana44 or 10-bolt can take a lot more than people give them credit for. It's cool to say you have a Dana60, but many out there will never do what a 1/2t-3/4t could do. I've torn up Dana60s and when it comes to buying parts, you'll spend a heap more money.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote