View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #1
chiggins

Vortec 350 Build, am I doing it right?

To start off, I am very much a novice at engine building, and this will be my first real build. I'm just trying to do the research and get some input, so I know I'm picking the right combo of parts that will get me what I want. I'm looking for any feedback from guys that have some real experience with this and appreciate any sort of response.

I recently picked up a '98 L31 block for cheap complete with the Vortec heads (062 I believe) and roller cam. I'm wanting to build a little torque monster out of it to replace the tired old 307 in my '68. I've been doing my research and slowly compiling a parts list for it. My plan is to build a healthy, reliable, and powerful little motor for my money, with lots of lower end torque. Here's what I have so far:
- COMP Cams CL08-412-8 Xtreme Energy Cam; I picked it out for its low-end torque and power capabilities, and was confirmed by Comp that this was the right choice
Specs:
RPM range: 1,200-5,200
Duration @050: 212/218
Lift w/ 1.5: .487/.495
LSA: 110
- COMP Cams Magnum Steel Roller Tip Rocker Arms and COMP Cams Hi-Tech double roller timing set
- ARP head and main studs
- Power Products knock-off Edelbrock dual plane intake, good for 1000-6000 rpm range
- Melling HV oil pump, thin steel head gaskets, and other assorted goodies

The goal is to have about a 9.5:1 compression using the thin gaskets. To accommodate for the higher lift, I will be getting Alex's Parts' beehive spring kit that allegedly allows for .500+ lift without modification to the heads.
link: https://www.alexsparts.com/new-vorte...-130-lbs-seat/
Alongside the springs I will install screw-in head studs to allow the higher spring seat pressure.

Fuel delivery will be from either an Edelbrock 600 or 650; I have both available plus tuning kits to find the best fit. The engine will be backed by an NV3500 5 spd, and I intend on running headers with an H-pipe and single boom tube for exhaust. I plan to run perhaps a 3.73 locker in the rear some time down the road. Wheels are about 26" in height.

I've already gone through and cleaned up the block myself. Oil passages are smoothed out as well as any other ridges in the block casting. I just need to send it to the machine shop and have them do my cam bearings, honing, and final block cleaning. I intend on doing the rest of the building myself.

My power goal is to have 350+ HP and 380+ torque. I feel this is attainable based on what I've read for similar builds. Is this a good level to expect or is it wishful thinking?

Again, I appreciate any sort of feedback, either telling me what I need to fix or that I actually am gaining an ounce of an idea on what I'm talking about lol. I'd love to hear about similar builds and what you guys did to make good power.

Cheers!
chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote