Thread: 47-55.1 Keep the original gas tank?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #6
mick53

Re: Keep the original gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
No, it REALLY isn't.

Years ago I remember seeing a story on "60 Minutes" about the in-cab tanks. Over decades the rubber hose between the tank neck and the neck on the body becomes very hard & brittle. In even a relatively mild accident, the tank is jarred and the tube doesn't just tear, it shatters and gasoline is sprayed around the cab.

Back in those days - 1970's - these trucks were still in common use as daily drivers with people smoking, etc. they told the story of people getting severely burned/killed.

I totally get the value of having the spare the original location. In mine, I'm just going to carry some Fix-A-Flat. Not a great solution but better than a tragedy.
I think you would be hard pressed to find any documented reports of AD truck tanks in proper working order that have burned people. The seat frame itself is somewhat of a roll cage. There is a lot of threads on the stovebolt about this. In the end it's what you want. Some people even put their battery under the hood. I'm putting 2 batteries under the floor.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote