View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 03:35 PM   #44
LT7A

Re: Looking to replace our baby

First off, congratulations! Those Sport trucks are really cool looking. Second, I hope you will link us to a build thread in the OBS section. You might not be doing an actual full-on build, but even a cleanup and tune-up is cool. Third, I would recommend leaving the original stereo in and tying in a bluetooth connection to play songs off your phone. The the OBSs are easy to get into with random keys and I have had my stereo stolen twice. I would replace the speakers with higher quality units since they are invisible and even do a hidden amp, but I would not replace the head unit in the dash. Fourth, I have owned my OBS since new, and I cannot believe how many parts are still original. I have 235,000 miles and have yet to replace some of the bulbs even. For what it's worth, I get on RockAuto occasionally and see when they're having a closeout on quality maintenance parts, and just add to my box for when I need it. I would get triple A if you don't have it and don't worry about replacing everything up front. With the quality of parts today, you may be replacing an original part that has 30,000 miles left on it with a part that won't last 300. That's just my opinion and experience. I would put that energy into cleaning, sealing, and preserving everything inside, outside, and underside. I've followed your thread on a stolen truck and I'm excited for you. Keep us updated.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote